Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Story of Simba's Prideland.

.


Many of you who read my blog must have wondered why the name "Simba's Prideland'? Or maybe not because most of u who take the pain of reading my blog are my friends since the times we frolicked around in the corridors of our Alma mater Sacred Heart Convent School  and are therefore aware of my ardent obsession with Simba.And others who were not with me in school i have already bugged by recounting my Simba infatuation innumerable times.But the time has come to give a even more detailed account of my love affair with Simba :D 

It was the year 1997 .Three years after Lion King had released world wide.A swarm of people were heading towards an auditorium where Loyola School's (my brother's school) Golden Jubilee was being celebrated.Among the sea of people was a tiny tot heading towards the auditorium clasping her parents hand.She again glanced at the brochure in her hand ,It said said Loyola School  welcomes u the stage adaptation of the movie The Lion King.The pictures from the movie on the brochure looked quite adorable and she was quite eagerly looking forward to the play

The Presentation of Simba
The opening scene of that play would forever remain itched in my memory.The scene is the presentation of the new born Cub Simba to the subjects of King Mufasa.The opening song of the movie "The circle of Life" is amazing.It starts with very powerful Zulu Lyrics and for me it has magical feel to it.Simba is presented by the King Mufasa's old and wizened old friend Rafiki to the subjects.The subjects bow to the their new Prince and the song reaches its crescendo.In School play the cub Simba was a baby  in a lion suit and on seeing the baby the entire audience awwwed and went How cute! including me of course.That's when i fell in love with Simba and the Lion King.



The pic I used as my election symbol
Fast forward to 2005.Campaigning of the School Pupil Elections of Sacred Convent School was going on with gusto.Vote For Simba!!!!! went the campaigners .One Two Three Four who are we for Five Six Seven Eight whom do we appreciate ? Simba!!!!!!!! chants echoed in the corridors of my Alma mater.I had chosen cub Simba as my election symbol.By this time I was in 10th Std and  had watched The Lion King innumerable times and developed a bond with him.In my election speech I referred to how Simba ,a boisterous playful little cub, an heir to the King Mufasa, had not a care in the world but then his life is completely shattered upon the death of his father for which his wicked uncle blames him.He runs away out of guilt .He eventually returns to his kingdom Prideland with a mission to take his rightful place as King.Its about Simba' s journey of self discovery which leads him to take his place in the Circle of Life.
Needless to say batch mates and juniors alike went gaga over my symbol.There was huge demand fr Simba stickers and badges.I had to print so many .The Juniors would go "Simba didi Simba Didi on seeing me. (How embarrassing!!! *shudders*) ( Ok ok!!Confession!!! I secretly enjoyed it :P)I got won with above 350 votes and the next highest was a measly 70 :D :D

Now Fast Forward to 2007.This time I was in 12th Std and standing for the School President elections.This time I didn't even have to think for a moment  regarding what my election symbol should be .As soon as I was nominated as  a candidate I said to myself Simba has grown up. :D So my symbol this time was Adult Simba.The logic being last two years had been a growing up journey fr me.And my stint as School pupil leader has made me more responsible and instilled in me even a greater pride for my school. :D  *Tch I am a genius :P * 

Hakuna Matata moment.
I won this time too though the vote margin had narrowed this time. :( But still a victory is a victory :D . I remember those fun filled campaigning days, When my friends boisterously sang in the corridors and cheered and shouted slogans for me. One daring one even volunteered to dance wearing  a Simba mask but  i blatantly refused and saved her from  embarrassing herself



So Simba has always been with me in my life's journey.I have watched the movie many times but yet I never get bored of it. I adored  cub simba, his rowdiness , his playfulness, his arrogance,his mischievousness his attempts to be brave like his father,.the lessons which wise and experienced King Mufasa teaches his young cub and the wonderful and close bond they share. I have all these years cried along in the movie when Mufasa dies and swelled with pride when Simba returns to Prideland .I have laughed at the antics of Timon and Pumba and sighed when love blossoms between Simba and Nala..I have cheered when Simba defeats Scar and finally in the closing scene- the presentation of Simba's and Nala's cub to the animals of Prideland. Apart from the cuteness and charm of the movie and the mellifluous music and lyrics what I like about it is how with utter simplicity the movie teaches us important life lessons.
I put in two quotes like.  :D :D



Rafiki: [after guiding Simba to a spot where he says will show him Mufasa] Look down there. 


Adult Simba: [looks into a pool of water] That's not my father. That's just my reflection. 


Rafiki: No, look harder. 


[touches the water, as it ripples Simba's reflection changes to that of his father] 


Rafiki: You see? He lives in you. 


Mufasa's ghost: [from above] Simba. 


Adult Simba: Father? 


Mufasa's ghost: [apears among the stars] Simba, you have forgotten me. 


Adult Simba: No. How could I? 


Mufasa's ghost: You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the Circle of Life. 


Adult Simba: How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be. 


Mufasa's ghost: Remember who you are. You are my son, and the one true king. Remember... 


Here is another one : 





Adult Simba: I know what I have to do. But going back will mean facing my past. I've been running from it for so long. 


[Rafiki hits Simba on the head with his stick] 


Adult Simba: Ow! Jeez, what was that for? 


Rafiki: It doesn't matter. It's in the past. 


[laughs] 


Adult Simba: Yeah, but it still hurts. 


Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it. 


[swings his stick at Simba again who ducks out of the way] 


Rafiki: Ha. You See? So what are you going to do? 


Adult Simba: First, I'm gonna take your stick. 


[Simba snatches Rafiki's stick and throws it and Rafiki runs to grab it] 


Rafiki: No, not the stick! Hey, where you going? 


Adult Simba: I'm going back! 


Rafiki: Good! Go on! Get out of here! 


[Rafiki begins laughing and screeching loudly] 


And ofcourse one of my favorites 


Rafiki: Asante sana Squash banana, Wiwi nugu Mi mi apana! 

This quote is in Swahili.I have often put it up as my gtalk status message.And many unsuspecting people have asked me what does it mean. To which i reply impishly and animatedly "It means You are a Baboon and I am not" .:D :D Yes Yes that's what Wiwi nugu mimi apana translates to in English , not kidding  :D :P

Ok ok I think i have said all i wanted to say.U might conclude from the post that I am infatuated with The movie and Simba in particular.But let me tell u this.Its not infatuation or obsession. It is love :D :P
.


P.S - I cant find the pic of Adlut Simba I used in the president elections : '( .Will put it up once I find it :D

3 comments:

  1. awww :)
    that reminds me, i hv to watch lion king. been ages since i watched it :)
    Simba suits u :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know you were such a genius :O President n all eh ? *Awed* *Looks at you with admiration*

    ReplyDelete